This blog is my gift to me. Its intent is to tap me on the shoulder and remind me..... my life is overflowing with blessings. My mindful resolution is to see the Woo-Hoo in every week of 2012. No doubt there will be many that reveal themselves. The deliciousness of the journey will be the childlike anticipation in wondering what's next!
Welcome 2012! I'm ready! Bring it!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week Thirty - Nine -A week of the loveliest of Auld Lang Syne’s


What a surprising and uncanny week this has been.  I sense the Universe is trying to help me to know how much I am loved, and maybe more important, how much I truly have loved back.  I had the privilege of reconnecting with not just one, but three people from my past this week!  God sent in the troops.  One, was someone who means the world to me and lives very far away.  The second, was someone I had professional dealings with a few years ago, and the third was a relationship that ended... very poorly.  

My week didn’t start out with me feeling all that loved and confident. It began by allowing me to put to the test some lessons on how to not pick up my typical knee-jerk response as my sword in fighting off personal justice.  The old cutting off my nose to spite my face syndrome.  Instead, I used kind indifference, acted like the bigger person, and recognized one person’s opinions, are just that, their opinion.  They don’t make or break me anymore, and they certainly don’t even come close to defining me unless I let them.   I passed, thank heavens.  Maybe this means, I won’t have to repeat this particular lesson because I get it?  I hope.  But the by-play did leave me feeling depleted as a number of old buttons got pushed and a really old tape started to play for a day or so.   

I think the reward for handling a situation differently than I would have before, was these blessed, serendipitous connections that came my way!   They were also a reminder that it always pays off, in the long run, to be honorable and honest in our dealings with others, no matter what... And, always fess up and admit when we're wrong, or at least acknowledge the role we played when we do get swept up in drama. Most of all, be who we really are, because that’s what others ultimately need from us.   Doing those things seems to clear spiritual channels as well as leaves room for relationships that seemed doomed or ended poorly to come around full circle.  That is exactly what happened in one particular case.  The other was a soothing reminder that no matter how far away a friend is, if the relationship is authentic and meaningful, that consistent comfort can be relied on, even long distance.  The last one was someone I admired a great deal, and it appears it is reciprocal!  Being a former affirmation junkie, I tried not to get too attached to all of the compliments tossed my way, but, it sure was nice to hear.  In all three cases, I wasn’t expecting the good energy they all breathed into my life this week. 

My friend from far-away, sprang from a professional connection and evolved from there and is the kind of friend you may not see for a few years, but when you do, you pick up exactly where you left off.   We have so many great memories to revisit, and we do frequently, because they remind us not to take life so seriously. To top it all off, he is a man to be admired, brimming with integrity, for real!  He is a devoted husband, doting father, loyal employee, and comitted friend.   But, he's also the kind of person, you feel completely comfortable sharing anything with.  That’s never changed, and I was so blessed to slide into all of those feelings this week with him.  I can count on one hand the number of people I have felt that kind of freedom, faith and trust with.  He puts things in perspective for me, and I always rediscover my better person after time or conversation with him.  

The second encounter was an individual I haven’t seen for a number of years too.  He literally walked right into me this week.  The delight on his face at seeing me again was apparent, even to my oblivious eye.  This very accomplished, highly successful man, makes me want to live up to his high opinion of me.  Like a fairy-godfather, when we parted company, I felt like a princess worthy of moving back into the castle again.  

My final encounter, was a huge blessing and a perfect example of the power of  making amends, forgiveness, and healing old wounds. I had extended the amends, agenda free, with no anticipation of reciprocity, or an expected outcome.   And, there was none, at the time.  But, they did what amends are supposed to do.  They allowed me to clear up my part of the mess, and move forward with a clear conscience and a pure heart.  There was room then for forgiveness to work it’s magic, as it always does in time.  This person touched back in this week, all disagreement and animosity had melted away.  It was wonderful to talk with her again. 

So much of the past, present, and future is intertwined and determines how we conduct all of our relationships.  When we sever those connections simply because of distance, complacency, or resentment, I think we are ultimately the biggest loser.   I am learning we were put on this planet to learn HOW to be in relationship with others.  When we look at the things our relationships have taught us, or how they made us feel, or the great memories we have accumulated because of them, it makes life so much better.  Inside of every relationship is some beautiful pearl whether it be, sharing a history, learning we are important and do matter to others, or new wisdom to help us continue down our path with more joy than suffering.  All of them are really meant to be treasured for the part they play in our journey.    I was reminded of that this week.   WooHoo! 

No comments: